Qualtim is currently looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to add to our team as a Technical Writer and Communications Team Member for the construction industry trade associations we support. As a Technical Writer you will be writing reports and articles that clearly and accurately convey technical and building industry information to the design, code and building communities. You will also be involved in the detailed evaluation of products for compliance with model building codes.
- Write articles for a trade publication on various topics of interest to the building community.
- Interview industry experts and trade association members for article content.
- Evaluate new and innovative products for compliance with governing building codes and standards for the purpose of certifying those products for use in new and existing construction.
- Document the evaluation process and clearly communicate the results in both internal supporting documentation and public Technical Evaluation Reports.
- Work closely with the Product Certification Team to ensure high quality evaluations are performed and the final product meets and exceeds the customer expectations.
- Provide technical support for the technical manager to accomplish the goals and objectives.
- Provide editorial review for other writers.
- Educational program content development.
- Communications, project and member support as needed related to trade association activities.
- Generally requires a 40 hour work week, but may require additional time as customer needs dictate.
- Ability to take complex concepts and explain them in simple terms.
- Excellent communication skills and willing to work independently and with a team.
- Knowledge of building construction.
- A basic understanding and ability to interpret building codes as they apply to building materials and building components. Our focus is primarily on structural building products and building envelope materials and analysis.
- A strong command of the English language and the ability to read and understand building codes and standards as well as the ability to write technical documents in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-motivated and can take ownership of various tasks and follow them through to completion.
- Must be able to prioritize duties, multitask and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a scientific, technical field but will consider applicants with equivalent field experience.
- Preference given to persons with experience in the following areas: Construction management, technical writing, building code enforcement or application.