Monona East Side Business Alliance (MESBA)
Executive Director Job Description
Executive Director Job Description
FLSA Classification: Salaried, full-time position
Location: Monona, WI
Employees Supervised: Membership/Events Director, Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Executive Director implements the mission of the Monona East Side Business Alliance and provides leadership within the organization and throughout the Monona East Side area. This role supports promoting a strong economy and high quality of life for our members and community, with a focus on economic development, marketing, tourism development, and advocacy. The Executive Director nurtures strong relationships with the board of directors, members, the school district, the city, the county, and across the business community. The Executive Director is responsible for the growth of the organization with its team and manages the day-to-day operations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administration / Leadership
• Lead, motivate and develop staff. Support a positive and productive work environment. Create job descriptions, lead interviews, make hiring decisions, and other supporting human resource work.
• Manage the Alliance’s finances including prepare and present monthly reports, and manage the annual budget and maintain Accounts Receivables.
• Serve as the spokesperson for the Alliance. Accept public speaking opportunities, respond in a timely manner to local news outlets to maximize publicity, serve on boards or committees in the community, frequent valuable networking events, and perpetuate connections for MESBA wherever possible.
• Responsible for management and success of the Alliance with the support of a Board of Directors.
• Board governance and volunteer coordination.
Tourism & Marketing
• Develop strategies, programs, and policies to promote members and MESBA countywide.
• Write and distribute media releases for members and MESBA as needed.
• Develop event ideas, event marketing plans, secure event sponsors, and see events through to completion.
• Develop and implement a tourism marketing plan for Monona to drive hotel stays and restaurant traffic.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to the City of Monona on tourism initiatives and results.
• Nurture relationships with Travel Wisconsin and Destination Madison and other tourism stakeholders.
• Contribute to and monitor new web content. Develop visitor itineraries that are relevant to the season.
• Supervise, update and seek members for Discover Monona App.
• Maintain tourism budget; track analytics to determine effectiveness of targeted tourism markets.
• Develop experiential components, source relevant information for distribution, and efficiently distribute Visit Monona materials locally and regionally.
• Work with members, primarily eateries/hotels/retailers, to develop incentive packages to stay in Monona
• Work with Monona’s City Administrator and other City offices to support the work and efforts of the city and vice versa.
• Know the needs of members and help them source office locations, resources, and outside perspectives
when needed; know when businesses are relocating and introduce them to Monona, provide a list of
available sites; promote the Monona Business Park as a viable option for growing businesses.
• Collaborate with other partners like City of Madison Economic Development team, MadRep, WEDC, and
Dane County in their efforts and projects. Continually seek opportunities to collaborate and make connections
with Department of Tourism, DNR, WisDOT, and Monona Grove School District.
1. Bachelor’s Degree or appropriate blend of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of the nonprofit industry, membership organizations, business associations, chamber of commerce, or convention and visitors bureau.
3. Excellent communicator, oral and written, persuasive, passionate, and able to successfully deliver presentations to groups.
4. Experience with membership growth and retention, as well as the ability to communicate value to stakeholders.
5. Strong marketing and fundraising history.
6. Knowledgeable in developing social media marketing campaigns, social media crisis management, marketing events, promoting the community, generating publicity for Monona, and supporting efforts that cast a positive light on the community
7. Knowledge of modern office practices, equipment, QuickBooks, and setting policies and procedures.
8. Self-reliant and self-starting approach to meeting job responsibilities.
9. Exercise independent sound judgment, discretion, and initiative while using tact and courtesy with all.
10. Understanding of Wisconsin’s room tax statute and how funds can be spent.
11. Familiarity with the available resources of the area is a plus.
12. Having owned a business is a plus.
1. Must be able to assist with event setup/teardown, spend much of the day walking, standing, sitting and/or driving.
2. Individual may travel to off-site locations that may not be barrier free or pose accessibility challenges like construction sites.
3. Must be able to type on a computer keyboard, operate office equipment, use a variety of industry related software, and experience with QuickBooks. 4. Must exercise high standard of professionalism in interacting with professionals from diverse markets, as well as an understanding how to relate to cultures generations, and genders other than their own. 5. Must maintain needs to uphold high standards of professionalism in dress attire and conduct with others.
Salary range is $50,000 to $60,000, depending on experience, with comprehensive benefits. To submit a resume, please include a cover letter and resume and email to Board Chair, Leah Hernandez at email@example.com.